Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Random Stuff

Weather: Just last week, we had temperatures of 10 C or 15 C...what the heck? Why is it skyrocketing to 35 C with warnings of heat alert? Yesterday I heard on the radio that they were distributing bottles of water to the elderly and homeless b/c of the heat alert. Why is the weather so drastic?

TTC: I usually am a supporter of unions and the TTC but this time, I'm mad at them. The strike that happened yesterday came without a warning. The first issue warning was 5am which left everyone with almost no time to reschedule or think of alternatives. Some people didn't even know of the strike and spent hours waiting. Myself? I almost got stranded at home, unable to go to work, if not for my dad and his generous offer of his car.

However, on a bus that I boarded this morning, a TTC driver (who is usually really nice and funny with announcement likes, "Welcome to Toronto. The temperature is 35 C with clear skies and a few clouds...etc, etc") apologized to all of us on the bus for yesterday's inconvenience and thanked us for our courtesy we gave him this morning. It made me smile but I was like, "What courtesy? Is it because we didn't beat him up or spit on him like the two other incidents that happened yesterday?" So ya, his comment made me a little less bitter at the TTC...but just to let you know, I haven't thanked one TTC driver today. I always thank them.

York: The National Congress for Humanities and Social Sciences are having their weeklong conference at York. Classes were cancelled this whole week for this all-important conference. I went there today to meet with a group for a project and man, some of the key speakers are David Suzuki and Stephen Lewis. They have CIDA there with lots of other NGOs in Vari and there are tons of publishers set up in York Lanes due to the number of scholars we have at York right now. And has anyone seen the library? They've transformed it with flowers and everything. There's banners around the school, lovely new benches put up...Where's all this money and extra bonus stuff for me as a student? Aren't we, the students, the primary customers of the university here? hmph.

Family: Today we had distant distant relatives come visit out of the blue. I found out that my grandfather is a brillant brillant man who teaches, or taught, in American universities. All three of his sons either have a PhD or went through Med. school and became doctors. I also found out that my grandfather's sister and husband are professors at PeKing University. Now, why didn't I know that when I went to Beijing last summer? I was at PeKing University all the time visiting poor Mike and his commie housing.

1 comment:

Nay said...

My Random Responses to Your Random Stuff

The weather is strange. But I am not going to complain. I have been waiting for this hot weather for a long time. Back to jogging for me....even if I am sweating 10x as much from the humidity.

I too say thank you to the bus drivers everytime I get off.

And we get the bonus stuff at YorkFest and on York's Birthday. I think that's it. But I agree with you. I want more!

Last summer in Lebanon I found out that my grandfather's brother was a psycho. Nothing about PhD's and med school for me. My grandfather himself was a farmer that had to support 10 kids. Oh yes indeed. My father, who is the 3rd oldest child, would work everyday and give every cent he earned to my grandfather, who always said to him "God bless you child." *tear*
I love my grandfather. And I miss him very much.

:)